[techtalk] ssh slow login

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Wed May 16 23:26:36 EST 2001

I just set up a new alphaserver on my home network. It is running
Debian testing.

When I ssh into this box, it sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for the
login prompt to come up. Does anyone know why it would take this long
to display a login prompt over a LAN? The machine has almost no load
on it.

Thanks,

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Mac Airways:
The cashiers, flight attendants and pilots all look the same, feel the same
and act the same. When asked questions about the flight, they reply that you
don't want to know, don't need to know and would you please return to your
seat and watch the movie.