[techtalk] GTK+ Prob - Mandrake 8

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon May 14 01:21:53 EST 2001

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 08:14:00PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Phil Savoie thought:
> Hi All,
>
>  Have anyone ever seen this?  How does one create a "helper"
> program to get the x program cdroast to run?
>
> GTK+WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
> This is not a supported use of GTK+.  You must create a helper
> program instead.  For further details see:
>         http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
> Refusing to intialize GTK+
>
> I went there and looked and just saw a rather snotty page with no info
> on how to do this "helper"  thing.  Any ideas?
>
> I am using Mandrake 8 and have added the rpm
> xcdroast-0.98alpha8-1.i586.mandrake72.rpm.  The above warning get
> displayed when ran as "root" user or any other ordinary user.

I suspect a wrapper script should do.  something like

#!/bin/bash

ssh -l root localhost '/usr/bin/xcdroast $*'

########## end ##############

save that as xcdroast.sh

Now all you need do is set up ssh on your box!

Alternatively, you could "chmod -s xcdroast" and then run it as root.

Finally, you could have a look at "sudo" which allows selected users
to run selected programs as root.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  1:02am  up 13 days,  3:52,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Hobbiton.cod.ie
  1:08am  up 13 days,  4:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00