[techtalk] botched newbie kernel compile

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Tue May 8 16:28:55 EST 2001

jcoolman at gladstone.uoregon.edu said:
> I 'make bzImage'd, replaced /vmlinuz (which appears to have been a
> symlink to something in /boot) with /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/
> bzImage0 and ran lilo, then tried to reboot.

Someone else said it, but it bears repeating.  If you have a booting kernel,
DO NOT TOUCH IT.  Or its lilo.conf entry.  You always need a known good kernel
you can fall back on in case something goes wrong.

In this case, you can boot the box off your floppy, so that's how you need to
fix it.

Boot it up, and undo whatever you did in /boot and /.

Then copy the 2.4.4 kernel to wherever your 2.2.17 kernel is (except with a
different name, and it doesn't matter what that is), and make a lilo entry for
it (a new one and don't make it the default just yet :-).  Rerun lilo, reboot,
and ask for the new kernel.

I think you broke something else, though.  The lilo README has this to say
about LIL-:

   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.

Does this ring a bell about anything else you did?

				Jeff