[techtalk] nubie help with bootable iso images

Nicoya Helm nhelm2 at kumc.edu
Tue May 8 10:55:13 EST 2001

okay, i've been itching to get a playbox up at work so that I can work on my linux skills in my spare time.  I'd never tried the "from scratch" method (as opposed to just getting a hold of an out-of-the-box distro), so I thought that'd be a good learning practice.  I've reached a sticking point tho.

I'm limited to trying to do this on a Win2K box, so...

I've downloaded the two rh7.0 iso's, and I've burned the first one to a cd.  I followed my burning software (nero)'s instructions for burning iso images specifically, pretty straightforward. Now I have a cd with 7.0-respin-disc1.iso on it.  Hmmm.  It seems to me that I should be able to see the normal install files - the boot.img, dosutils.redhat, etc.  It also seems to me that this cd should be bootable.  I've read and re-read everything I can think of, but most of the docs I've found discuss doing this from an existing linux box, not from the Windoze platform.  Is there some magic step I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

~~~Nicoya...