[techtalk] quirky computer bugs

Nicki Fung nicki at antiflux.org
Tue May 8 01:58:51 EST 2001

Hallo!

I was installing win2k/redhat on my machine this weekend and I found a
lovely little bug that I thought I'd share just in case anyone else had
run into a similar problem.

The problem is with win2k and not redhat - but it may be useful to someone
on this list.  I am sure some of you have to deal with windows
sometime. (though maybe against your will!) ;)

If you happen to have an Asus v7 motherboard with a version1003 bios - and
you try to install win2k - the computer will fail to recognize the cdrom
drive. so you need to update the bios first and then everything works
ok.  A friend of mine has run into the same problem and he says that it
only happens with the v1003 bios.

In fact this bug caused the win2k install to take over
6 hours while the linux install took a little over half!<sigh>
On the bright side - I learnt how to flash the bios.

Cheers
Nicki