[techtalk] Cd Roms...a tribe to themselves?

Rialian rialian at his.com
Mon May 7 23:43:35 EST 2001

===Greetings all!  been lurking on the list for a bit, and have encountered
an odd thing I was wondering if anyone else had bumped into...

===My main machine is a dual boot Mandrake 8/ Win98.  I have a TDK Velocd
read-write CD Rom drive. (Which I jokingly call the Velocd-raptor...)

=== Anyway....I have found some odd quirks in this arrangement.  I was able
to burn data cds fine at first.  I was even able to go into my Win98
directory and grab files to burn from there as well....but was unable to copy
a cd from my other drive...(it is an older one, so that MIGHT be the
problem....but other stuff makes me doubt that....)

===Well, I decided to take advantage of the dual-boot nature of my computer
to tame this reptillian beast, and went into Win98 mode...and installed the
software that came with the drive.

===Well, that did not work...just would not engage in meaningfull
conversation, and the program just seemed to want to sun itself on the warm
hard drive...and looked strangely satisfied, like it had recently had a nice
filling meal.  This for some reason concerned me.

===Then I found that when I went into Mandrake, the drive designation was
mightilly nibbled upon....the skeleton left showed me that a mighty predator
form the dark side of Windows had somehow gotten past the fences, and the
moat..(I have Windows on another separate drive)...and had decided to give me
a gobbldygook name for my drive....

===Well, I will admit that this sight was a bit much to bear, and I must have
blanked out...because next thing I knew I had begun trying to do an "update"
of Mandrake 8 with the cd I have, to see if that would help.  Well, it
did...I can now burn data cds again.

===Anyone else have similar odd experiences with cdroms doing this?

===As a side note....I do very much like Mandrake 8....but I am highly
annoyed at one aspect.  The update manager insists on having the cd
available.  I would not be overly twitchy if my computer had designated one
of my drives as "cdrom"...but no...it decided to make the TDK something I am
still trying to figure out, and not read from my other drive as cdrom....and
it specifically requests that the cd be placed in the appropriate
drive....grrr.... (I can update other ways, but it would have been nice to
have that functionality there for when I feel lazy)

===Otherwise, I like Mandrake 8....until I find something else that irks
me...(grin)

					Rialian