[techtalk] Web diary.

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 22 09:32:46 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 08:09:55AM +1100, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> Hm. The make would run a shell script (well, nowadays probably a
> perl or python script - this would be where the PHP would come into
> it) that takes the newly-committed text file or HTML lump, adds the
> desired headers and footers (and other prettification), and uploads
> it to the untrusted-server. The CVS repository would be on a trusted,
> regularly-backed-up machine.
>
> This would mean that the files could actually be a tree that is
> the directory structure the URL should display, because I'd have a
> CVS-repository database of the actual text. Any time I wanted to change
> the headers and footers, I'd change the scripts make uses and run it
> over the whole database, re-uploading the new pages.

I'm not seeing terribly much wrong with these ideas yet :) except the
reuploading thing. You're too used to a cable modem now Jenn (Mary's
diary entries are now well over 200K and that used to take some minutes
on a modem, and I'm impatient, and it was costing us a little for every
upload and ...). I'd have to regenerate remotely.

I'd, for some reason, forgotten how easy make makes making things
(sorry) and it is now getting tempting...

Mary,

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>