[techtalk] Apache Question

Melissa Plunkett plunkettm at missouri.edu
Wed Mar 21 11:24:31 EST 2001

Look at: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options
There it states that "Any options preceded by a + are added to the
options currently in force, and any options preceded by a - are removed
from the options currently in force."

So what you need is something like:
<Directory "/web/mikeplumeband.com">
     Options -Indexes
     AllowOverride All
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

It should inherit Includes FollowSymLinks and ExecCGI from the parent
directory directive of /web.

Best of luck,
Melissa

Naomi Hospodarsky wrote:

> are you trying to have it so that at a higher level, you _can_see
> directories, and then turn the ability off for vhosts?  My guess is that
> the global option where you are allowing Indexes is overriding the vhost
> option....Try turning it off in the global option, and see what happens.
>
> At 11:51 PM 3/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I am trying to turn off the ability to see the directories for the a vhost
> >on my server.  I figured I could just add a Directory directive to the
> >conf file and leave Indexes out.  However, its not working.  Is the
> >Directory directive for /web (where all vhosts are located) default?  Is
> >there any way around this?
> >
> >Here's a snippet of what I did (am /trying/ to do)
> >
> ><Directory "/web">
> >      Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
> >      AllowOverride All
> >      Order allow,deny
> >      Allow from all
> ></Directory>