[techtalk] Printing to Deskjet printer

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Mar 15 16:59:51 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:19:30AM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Subba Rao thought:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a HP Deskjet printer as a Linux local printer. After reading
> the Printing-HOWTO, I am a bit more confused as to what type of drivers I need.
> There LPD, CUPS and others. I would like to know anyone's printing system
> configuration for a HP Deskjet printer.

Running an hp Deskjet 550C on an lpt port and an HP Deskjet 610C on a HP
JetDirect print server with rhs-printfilters-1.63-1 and the following
/etc/printcap entry for the local printer

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 600x600 a4 {} DeskJet550 3 1
Local:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:

The RedHat printtool program takes care of all the editing and spool dir
files but they can be done by hand.  I can send these if you wish.  Al you
*really* need is rhs-printfilters which was up to 1.81-1 when last I
looked.  Don't know where to get it but I can send you the (25k) tarball
if you're interested.  Now whether it'll work for another distro I don't
know but I'd say it's likely.

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  4:44pm  up 16 days,  3:19,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.03

Hobbiton.cod.ie
  3:50pm  up 16 days,  2:00,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00