[Techtalk] Distro

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Jun 15 14:03:58 EST 2001

Hi, Scott,

> I ran into a problem last night with Mandrake 8.0 where if I used
LinuxConf
> to configure my ppp connection or network card the config would not save.
I use the
> Mandrake DrakConf tool and everything works ok.  I did not spend that
much time with it, but
> it appears that I have to use the DrakConf tools to configure my machine
and I am not so
> sure I like that.

linuxconf requires certain hooks into your system to work properly.  Make
sure the linuxconf daemon is running.

> Has anyone else experienced this?  If this is really the case I am
thinking
> I might want to get Red Hat 7.1-- I want more control of my machine!

More control how?  How does one graphical network configuration tool vs.
another give more control?  They all write to various config files which
can be edited manually for ultimate control.  You want control, use vi :)
I use neither linuxconf nor drakconf, but rather configure directly within
kppp on my Mandrake 8 box.

Oh, and if you go to Red Hat 7.1 don't be surprised when linuxconf is
noticeably missing.  It is no longer part of the default install.  There
have been assorted and sordid problems with linuxconf, as well as security
concerns, and Red Hat, Mandrake, and others are moving away from it.  On a
default workstation or server build of Red Hat Linux 7.1 you will be using
netcfg to configure your network, and that is as Red Hat specific as
drakconf is Mandrake specific.  Oh, and if the name netcfg looks familiar,
yes, it's the same tool used by Red Hat 5.x, just updated to current
requirements.  Personally, I think both drakconf and netcfg and the other
Red Hat tools are much easier to use than linuxconf, but that may just be
me.

All the best,
Caity