[techtalk] Opinion needed on Mail Clients

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 8 09:10:29 EST 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:21:35AM +1200, Penguina wrote:
> I use pine, and I can tell you a few things I really don't like
> about it.  ^X (send) and ^C (cancel) are right next to each other.
>
> If you let things build up in your inbox, pine takes ages to sort
> it out on launch.  It has gotten confused and dropped mail from
> the inbox on occasion.  If you want to suspend a message in order
> to examine some late-breaking incoming mail message or check your
> facts in another -- rotsa ruck.  And then there's the security
> holes.

Also it loads your entire inbox into RAM. And I know people with 50 MB mailboxes
on multiuser machines who have had pine swap itself out.

Mary.

> > On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Claudine Chionh wrote:
> >
> > > you please.  Of course, 'power users' are more likely to use
> > > something like fetchmail to collect POP/IMAP mail independent of
> > > mail client.
>
> Hah!  And I thought I used fetchmail because I was too lazy to figure
> out how to get my mail client to do it.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about running fetchmail over an outside network,
> though -- it doesn't encrypt, does it?  Is there a way to set up
> fetchmail (or other mail clients that have that functionality built
> in) so that it *does* encrypt both the password and the data stream?

It's more a problem with the protocols - IMAP and POP don't encrypt.

You could set up IMAP over SSL at the other end.

There is also a way to tunnel it over ssh.

It looks something like

 preconnect "ssh -C -f x at y.net -L 11110:y.net:110 sleep 10"
 password "lkajshflkahsflkhafs"

in your .fetchmailrc, but I have never tried it, so suggest research.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>