[techtalk] Opinion needed on Mail Clients

Claudine Chionh claudine at replicant.apana.org.au
Fri Jun 8 09:54:02 EST 2001

On Friday, 08 June 2001, Penguina scripsit,

> I use pine, and I can tell you a few things I really don't like
> about it.  ^X (send) and ^C (cancel) are right next to each other.

I'll tell you what's silly - I was just fixing up my procmail recipes
and sent a whole bunch of mail into a 'Linixchix' folder!  Took me
ages to wonder where all the Linuxchix mail went <g>.

One of the problems changing from pine to mutt was that the keybindings
are quite different, especially the keys used to select/tag and apply
commands to tagged messages.  It didn't take me long to get used to
mutt's keybindings, so when I'm stuck somewhere else with pine it drives
me crazy!  (Mutt keybindings are similar to elm's.)

> Hah!  And I thought I used fetchmail because I was too lazy to figure
> out how to get my mail client to do it.

I use fetchmail on my home box, but at work I use mutt to check my
IMAP mailboxes.

> I'm a bit concerned about running fetchmail over an outside network,
> though -- it doesn't encrypt, does it?  Is there a way to set up
> fetchmail (or other mail clients that have that functionality built
> in) so that it *does* encrypt both the password and the data stream?

There's a 'fetchmail-ssl' package in Debian - I should look into it.
It would depend on whether the server implements SSL, wouldn't it?

Claudine

--
geek historian - Melbourne, AU
Please don't CC duplicate replies to me - I read the group