[techtalk] passwords don't work

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jun 14 14:46:50 EST 2001

Hi, Christian,

I had this exact problem on an SGI box.  It turns out there was an error in
the /etc/passwd file for my account.  I like to use bash (which is a custom
shell in Irix) and had moved the executable from /usr/freeware/bin to the
more standard /usr/sbin without remembering to change the r/etc/passwd file
for myself .  The net result was that it logged me in, threw an "invalid
shell" error into the log, and froze.  Log in as someone else if it will
let you, check your /etc/passwd file and make sure you have a valid shell
selected.  Also, make sure your shell binary actually executes and hasn't
gotten corrupted somehow.

BTW, we do this *deliberately* to our root accounts on the SGIs.  We change
the shell to /bin/false so that nobody can login as root at all for added
security.  You then need to use sudo or su to get root.  Obviously, booting
from CD can bypass this, but with all the exploits Irix has had the admins
prior to me felt this was a good idea, and I have to agree.

Good luck!
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)

                    Christian MacAuley
                    <jellhead at onebox.c        To:     techtalk at linuxchix.org
                    om>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     [techtalk] passwords don't work
                    techtalk-admin at lin
                    uxchix.org

                    06/14/01 12:58 PM
                    Please respond to
                    jellhead

Hi, everyone.

I have a linux web server that i normally contact by SSH and FTP. Right
now, neither those nor telnet work. Every time i try to connect i get
a login prompt but as soon as i type my password, nothing happens. What
might cause this? If i bring a dummy terminal over to the box (which
seems to be the only way i'll be able to access it) what can i do to
fix it?

Thanks for any help,
Christian

PS: You might have noticed i posted the same problem in more detail a
few days ago. I'm trying again because i'm desperate!

Christian MacAuley
work - http://colortheory.net
play - http://jellspace.net