[techtalk] Installing a new printer

Bek Oberin gossamer at tertius.net.au
Thu Jun 14 16:00:55 EST 2001

I'm getting a new printer, hurrah!

I'm used to using lpd and magicfilter on Debian for my
11-year-old HP DJ 500.

But the new printer I'm getting is a black and white lazer
printer, Brother 1250 which is one of their suggested printers in
that category.  This is according to linuxprinting.org.

They say it works with a modified ghostscript driver or a
stardard ljet4 driver.

I can see a filter in /etc/magicfilter that is called ljet4-filter
so I assume that's that one but the ghostscript filter gives
higher-resolution results.

How do I set it up to use the ghostscript?  Most of the printing
I do is either through netscape or straight postscript files from
LaTeX or plain text through pr.  The latter two I usually pipe
through lpr.

I'm a bit at a loss. I don't  know much about ghostscript or
using it.  Would it be instead of magicfilter?

a slightly confused
bekj

--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.