[issues] Re: [techtalk] Desktop OS?

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:55:12 EST 2001

> <snip>
> I'm going to tackle this from two angles:  First, 90% of computer users
> can't
> install *any* operating system.  They buy their system with the OS
> preinstalled.  This is why getting Linux-based systems into stores is so
> critical.  IMHO, the semi-savvy non-geeks who actually try to install an OS
> are a small fraction of the market, and therefore not vital.
> </snip>

with this in mind .. i'd just like to comment on the fact that most people
think linux is extremely difficult to install.  ask them to reinstall
their windows OS without using the manufacturer's wonderful recovery cd
and they'll have nearly as much difficulty.

> How many tech support departments are going to switch their company over to
> a system that requires all the work of installing, and then walking all the
> users through how to use the new system a million times? It's an uphill
> battle to get users to switch, because they're comfortable with what they've
> got and on the whole, it works for them. I have never, in 12 years of
> working in corporate environments, worked anywhere that didn't use Windows
> and/or Office. That may have more to do with where I live (Seattle area)
> than anything else, so I'd like to hear if that experience is not usual.

from my experience .. i know plenty of people who want more than anything
to run linux rather than windows .. they just have these petty excuses, "i
don't have time" or "blah blah blah" .. you can think of several on your
own i'm sure.  they want to .. they just don't.  so yes, i would agree
that most people are comfortable with what they have.

abe