[issues] Re: [techtalk] Desktop OS?

x cthulhu at blarg.net
Tue Jun 5 10:49:05 EST 2001

Caitlyn Martin said:
<snip>
I'm going to tackle this from two angles:  First, 90% of computer users
can't
install *any* operating system.  They buy their system with the OS
preinstalled.  This is why getting Linux-based systems into stores is so
critical.  IMHO, the semi-savvy non-geeks who actually try to install an OS
are a small fraction of the market, and therefore not vital.
</snip>

This bothers me, I guess because I belong to that small fraction that you're
dismissing. Is it really true that most people can't install an operating
system? Of course, I'm trying to remember the last time I might have done
that without the support of someone who *knows* what to do sitting right
next to me. I can't. So maybe I can't do it on my own either.

And then she said:
<snip>
To me, this is why preloads and corporate acceptance are what are going to
determine whether or not Linux makes it on the desktop.
</snip>

I agree. I have a dual boot Windows 95/Mandrake machine, I would love to go
all Linux but because I'm a freelance technical editor & writer I can't. I
have to be running Microsoft Office so I can work in the documents I get.

I've had a running argument with my husband about this. He thinks Linux is
the wave of the future and everyone will love all the options you have with
it. My take on it, while I'd love to agree with him, is that most end-users
want a package deal of things that will work together without any major
tweaking (which the average end-user is not capable of). And as far as I can
tell, we still don't have that in the Linux world. Right now you can walk
into a computer store or go to Dell online (not that I recommend this) and
buy a computer that comes all preinstalled. All you have to do is follow the
color-coded system to plug the keyboard, mouse, and monitor in. That kind of
ease of use is what is needed for Linux (sacrilege!) before the average
computer user will consider it.

How many tech support departments are going to switch their company over to
a system that requires all the work of installing, and then walking all the
users through how to use the new system a million times? It's an uphill
battle to get users to switch, because they're comfortable with what they've
got and on the whole, it works for them. I have never, in 12 years of
working in corporate environments, worked anywhere that didn't use Windows
and/or Office. That may have more to do with where I live (Seattle area)
than anything else, so I'd like to hear if that experience is not usual.

KCB