[Techtalk] I've lost my prompt

Glen Strom gstrom at primus.ca
Sun Jul 8 16:37:58 EST 2001

Hi all:

Malcolm's suggestion worked. I was able to get into the system
and move the file /etc/profile.local out of harms way.

I rebooted from the console with shutdown -r now and the system
re-started KDE normally. I'll have to figure out what the author of
the profile file *really* meant. ;->

Telsa,

> I was just wondering about "I reboot (I don't know how to do it the
> right way)" and how Glen rebooted, but then, kdm did manage to start.

> (a) Gnome has a logout box which lets you choose whether to log
> your user out of Gnome, whether to shut the box down, or
whether
> to reboot it (nicely). I would be surprised if KDE doesn't have
> something similar.

That's what I did. After I made the new profile file I rebooted the
usual way when I logged out of KDE (click the shutdown button
and select reboot. When kdm came back up after the reboot
everything seemed normal. I typed in my password and pressed
Enter...and waited...and waited. Nothing happened. It just sat there.

I opened a console with Ctrl-Alt-F2 and logged in as root. The
system accepted my password, but bash would not give me a
prompt. I could type in commands without the prompt, but nothing
would execute.

When I said I didn't know the right way, I didn't mean the right way
to reboot--I meant I don't know how to restart the system to accept
the aliases without rebooting.

> I am really curious what changes you made in this file, btw. I want to
> avoid them myself :)

All I did was create a new section for my aliases. I was careful (I
think) to get the syntax right. Other than that, the file was unaltered-
-except, of course, for the name change.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for the advice. I can live without the
aliases until I figure out where they should go, but it I found that I
have a great deal of difficulty living without a command prompt. It
reduces the functionality of the system to about the same level as
that of the average NT box (yes, I have issues with NT boxes) ;->

Glen Strom
gstrom at primus.ca