[techtalk] partitioning security (was lilo)

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 18:39:03 EST 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 09:36:40AM -0500, Julie wrote:
> Almut Behrens wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:21:48PM -0500, Julie wrote:
> > >
> > > So if you have "/tmp/foo" and it's a symbolic link to "/root/private"
> > > and /root has permissions 0700, you can only perform the operations
> > > on "/tmp/foo" that you could perform if you replaced that name with
> > > "/root/private".  If "/tmp/foo" is a hard link, the permissions on
> > > "private" determine what rights you have.  So if "private" has
> > > permissions 0666 you can write to the file if it is a hard link,
> > > but not if it is a soft link (and you aren't root ...).
> >
> > sorry for being picky, but I don't think that the latter statement
> > about the hardlink is technically correct.
>
> Nope, absolutely and positively very technically correct.

... you definitely *are* right.  I apologize for having created
additional confusion. I obviously misread that paragraph, in particular
the fact that you were focusing on the effect of the different paths...
Rereading your statement with a clearer mind now, I can perfectly
agree. Sorry.

Well, I hope that at least some of what I said was helpful to others
with less unix experience than you, Julie, have...

- Almut  (trying to actually *read* next time, before posting)