[techtalk] A Very Grumpy LILO--Help!

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Sat Jul 21 19:03:06 EST 2001

> Gaaaahhhhh! Please pardon me if I've completely missed
> something obvious because I've only done about six
> installs of RedHat Linux. This is my first 7.1 install
> and it is also my first install where LINUX is
> cohabitating with Windows. LILO is a gal that
> apparently likes to keep to herself. Anyway,
> Here's what I have:

*vomit* ... *is a slackware kinda guy* ;p

> boot="/dev/hda3"
> timeout="50"
> message=/boot/message
> root=/dev/loop1
>
> image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
> label="2.4.2-2"
> read only
>
> image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzimage
> label="Linux_Compiled"
> root=/dev/hda3
> read-only
> optional
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label="NT"
>
> other=/dev/hda2
> label="NT_DATA"
>
> other=/dev/hda3
> label="LINUX"

crazy kde stuff ... ok, if you want to use the superblock of the linux
partition to store all the boot stuff (lilo) then mark that partition
(hda3) as the active partition.  then give this lilo.conf a whirl.

--
boot = /dev/hda3
delay = 50		# 'timeout' works better with 'prompt'

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
  label = vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
  # restricted
  # password = <password>
image = /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage	# you should move this to
  label = linux_compiled			#   /boot as well
  # restricted
  # password = <password>
other = /dev/hda1
  label = nt
  table = /dev/hda
  # restricted
  # password = <password>
--

and now, in my experience .. the best way to clear out the MBR is just
type 'lilo -b /dev/hda1' then 'lilo -b /dev/hda3' .. usually works out any

oh, and one last thing .. if you want to nuke the MBR and make sure no
remnants of any boot manager are in there, just boot up with a DOS floppy
and do the good 'ol 'fdisk /mbr' .. cleans it right out :)

coldie