[techtalk] backup solutions

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Wed Jul 18 22:44:10 EST 2001

> Are there good inexpensive tape drives that folks have used that they
> like? Has anyone had good experience with the Onstream drives?

We use an OnStream actually in our network backups. Of course when we had
issues, their support got outsourced and was offline... but it is coming
back. So far in our experience it works well... it's just the software
that's a bitch in windows. :o)

I don't know about linux support with any drives... but it certainly
*works* to do good decent backups for a decent price (and lots of volume).
A quick google search reveals that they are quite proud of being "linux
certified" and a page I couldn't get to did have linux driver information
(an onstream.com link).

http://www.onstreamdata.com/support/linux/index.html

If you go here:

http://www.onstreamdata.com/software/index.html

they even provide links/information about software that works with their
products.

-nicole