[techtalk] Installing linux without CDROM or floppy?

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jul 19 11:22:32 EST 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:39:45PM -0700, Akkana wrote:
> I've been combing google looking for help, but I haven't found
> anything.  Is there some way, under Windows, that I can copy
> a linux boot floppy onto the second partition and the boot into
> that partition?  I have Partition Magic, if that helps.  Or can I
> buy an aftermarket CDROM and expect it to be bootable?

Have you experimented at all with loadlin?

You need a copy of the kernel you wish to boot into on a Windows drive and
then you point loadlin at that kernel and it restarts your computer into
Linux (it's normally touted as an alternative to lilo for people who don't
want to touch their Master Boot Record, but Linux newbies these days
if coming from Windows may not be familiar with DOS command line stuuf
either).

Anyway, I imagine could use loadlin to boot into an installer kernel if you've
got some way to get it onto your Windows partition.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>