[techtalk] CD-R

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jul 14 13:41:41 EST 2001

R Winston writes:
> Why won't CD-R discs I recorded work on my Sony DVD/CD player?  It says "no disc" when I try to play them?

One thing that always bites me in Redhat/KDE is that I have the
cdplayer icon in my taskbar by default (so it starts the app),
and if cdplayer is running, when I insert a data disk the system
can't mount it.  I always go through a few minutes of thinking
"The $%^&* Windows CD writing software probably created some sort
of nonstandard disk this time" before I finally remember that I
have to kill the cdplayer app, after which the data CD mounts fine.

Is it possible you're running into something like this?

(I record CDs on Windows because although it was easy to follow the
howto on ide-scsi and get my HP cdwriter recognized, I haven't been
able to decode the cdrecord man page to figure out how to just say
"take directory path/here and put it on the CD", and I haven't
found any GUI wrappers that actually run.  Anyone here have a
favorite cd writing app, or a pointer to a basic howto on how to use
cdrecord to do the basics?  I hate having to resort to Windows.)

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com