[techtalk] Firewalls und an off-topic Solaris question

Jennifer Hamilton jhamilto at N2H2.com
Mon Jul 9 15:54:46 EST 2001

Good Solaris Admin books are hard to find.

This one is ok:
Solaris 8 for Managers and Administrators
by Curt Freeland, Dwight McKay, Kent Parkinson, Kent Parkinsinson

The best thing to do is to have your company send you to a Solaris
System Administration Course. They'll have the best books.
Unfortunately, they are 2500+ for a week's course!

The next best thing is to pay for very good hardware and software
support by Sun. If you buy a good support package, they'll treat you
like royalty and most problems will be solved rather quickly. If not,
you'll waste a lot of production time trying to solve problems. Good
support pays off.

Jen

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Sweeney [mailto:bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 10:03 AM
To: Techtalk at Linuxchix. Org
Subject: [techtalk] Firewalls und an off-topic Solaris question

Hey all,

Have a couple of questions for you.  First, I'm setting up a Linux box
with
64-bit PCI Gig ethernet cards.  One SX, and one copper.  It's going to
act
as a firewall.

So, the first question is has anyone had any experience with Linux
firewalling and Gig speeds?  Are there horrible throughput issues?  Any
other gotchas?  I'll be testing throughput today or monday against
another
SX box, but I unfortunately don't have another gig copper box to test
against.  Ah well.

The second question's a bit easier, and I think it's been asked before
but
not answered.  A friend of mine recently got a job as a Solaris admin
(much
to his chagrin; more like he got stuck with the job), and needs a good
Solaris Admin book that's somewhat basic.  Any suggestions?

Thanks all...

-Brian

Brian Sweeney
bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu

"The life expectancy of an unpatched, default installation of Red Hat
6.2
server is three days. The last time we attempted to confirm this, the
system
was compromised in eight hours."
-The Honeynet Project