[techtalk] How to point whatever.domain.com to ip?

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Mon Jan 29 00:44:12 EST 2001

Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and get "DNS & BIND" by Cricket
Liu et al, or SAM's "Teach Yourself DNS/BIND in 24 Hours". The second book
is less intense and geared more towards someone who hasn't learned
anything about DNS yet. Every domain owner should at least borrow one of
these books from someone and give it a read, in my opinion. If you don't
currently have $20 - $30 to buy a book, go to http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/
. There is a vast weath of information at that site regarding DNS and well
worth a good look.

As to your question, yes, if you have "domain.com" you can have any number
of hostnames under domain.com, the more common ones usually being
www.domain.com, ftp.domain.com, mail.domain.com, and so on. This does have
to be set up in DNS. You can have all these different hosts pointing to
one IP address as well, which is set up also in DNS.

Registrars don't have especial responsibility towards telling you any of
what you can do withyour domain name... they generally assume that you know,
you'll find out, or if they are also providing nameservers for your domain
name, you will tell them what you want and they will set it up for
you.