[techtalk] Red Hat 7.0 and video cards

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Jan 17 18:06:07 EST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> That is completely contrary to my experience with the card.  I have two,
> and I have run Mandrake 7.0, Caldera 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, Red Hat 6.0, and
> TurboLinux 4.1 with it, all with great success.  I tend to run at
> 1024x768x32bpp and never have had so much as a hiccup with XFree 86 3.3.x
> and the SVGA server.  It bothers me to have to replace two perfectly good
> cards just to upgrade my X, especially since I know a whole bunch of cards
> are missing out of 4.0.1.

Due to this, Red Hat Linux 7 ships with XFree86 3.3 servers as well, which
you can use if your card is not supported by XFree86 4. Normally,
Xconfigurator should determine whether to use version 4 or 3.3
automatically. If that fails, you can force the version to use with
"Xconfigurator --preferxf3" or "Xconfigurator --preferxf4" respectively.

Of course you should be able to recycle an old XF86Config. To distinguish
between version 3 and 4, the old style configuration file is
/etc/X11/XF86Config and the new style one (for XF 4) is
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de