[techtalk] Basic networking

Angela Nash Chick at the-nashes.net
Mon Jan 15 20:42:56 EST 2001

You can set up a system and use what is known as NAT (Network Address
Translation), or Masq in Linux.  Basically, this lets more than one PC use a
single IP address.

My recommendation is to go buy the LinkSys Etherfast Cable/DSL router.  They
are $99 from buy.com and do NAT in hardware.  They are fast and easy to
configure.  Plus, they inherently secure your network since inbound
connections are not allowed.

Cheap and very effective.

Jason