[techtalk] Basic networking

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Mon Jan 15 19:27:14 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:08:56PM -0600, Chou, Mary wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a Linux newbie who's using Red Hat 7.
> I realize this is slightly off the subject, but I am *really* new <G>
>
> If I want to share an SDSL line between 2 computers, what are my options?
> I know customarily, people use routers, are there any other good
> alternatives,
> for example, software?  I purchased a Linksys hub (switch) on the
> recommendation
> of a friend, without realizing what would be needed.
>
> Also, as far as networking, can I see a Windows 2000 machine from a Linux
> box?
> I will have one of each when I bring home a PC from work.

You can set up a linux or bsd box to act as a firewall/router.  This
computer would be hooked up to your SDSL line and serve the rest of the
computers behind it.  You would run an Ethernet cable from the firewall
to the hub and then plug the rest of your computers into the hub.  There
is probably some way to "see" a windows box from linux.  I usually go
the other way though and view Linux from Windows using Samba.  I hope
that kind of answered your questions...
kent

--
I'd really love to wana help you Flanders but... Homer Simpson