[techtalk] Linux - Windows System

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 28 22:28:56 EST 2001

I haven't used wine so I can't comment on it. I have used VMWare, though.
It's great if you want to run both Windows and Linux on the same machine...
given the caveat that one or the other is going to be a lot slower than
normal.

> Another thing, I wouldn't suggest win2k... as it is new
> and also full of good ol' M$ bugs...

That's debatable. Windows 2000 with Service Pack 1 is far more reliable than
any other version of Windows (provided you keep all the Norton and McAffee
crap off it). I'm quite pleased to say that I reboot my Windows 2000 machine
as often as I reboot my Rehat Linux 7.0 machine... that was about two months
ago for each when I moved them across the room. It's not about one being
better than the other. I like and use both about equally as much and have
them installed on separate computers with a switchbox.

> Have fun with Baldur's Gates...
> ( also one of my favorites )

It's one of my favorites as well. Unfortunately it doesn't like my Matrox
G400 video card and I can't live without my dual-head display. It works fine
on the 3dfx Voodoo 3000 card, but I put that card in the Linux box.