[techtalk] shell scripts at boot

Anmol Khirbat anmol at teknema.com
Mon Feb 5 18:47:29 EST 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, I guess I'm an underwater thing wrote:

> Hey guys -
>
> I don't know much about startup/shutdown.

Have a look at the following link even if you don't use redhat.
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/Boot-Process-Tips/Boot-Process-Tips.html

The init(8) manpage would be helpful.

> I have written a shell script that starts my web servers and a few
> other services so that I don't have to manually do it every time I
> reboot.  What I'd ultimately like is if it could run as part of the
> boot process.

Your distro should have the tools to let you automatically turn on
services when you boot.

If you use a redhat based system, try ntsysv or chkconfig.

If you use debian, try update-rc.d.

HTH

bye :)
Anmol