[Techtalk] Question about DNS

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu Dec 6 13:26:49 EST 2001

Thanks, Raven!

I suspect there may have been problems with my using Webmin. I redid the
files by hand and things look more normal now when query my two name
servers. However, the errors do not necessarily explain why stanford and
sjsu aren't resolving correctly (the errors were that the secondary name
server wasn't properly setup as a slave; and that some of the soa
information wasn't quite right).

The only thing I can figure is that the campuses' name servers skipped query
the primary name server on my domain, got no response from the secondary
name server (it apparently didn't have the record since it wasn't acting as
a slave like I thought it was), and are caching that.  Of course, that still
doesn't explain the week long delays.  Again, other sites are having no
trouble.

Thanks for the info on other name servers! I currently only use BIND 8 (I've
used Meta-IP in the past, but that was when it first came out).

There is, of course, the possibility that Stanford and SJSU are just doing
weird things and that it's not really something on my side that's causing
this. I wish I could figure out what was going on ...

Jen