[Techtalk] mpg123 error

Raven Brooke rbrooke at maine.rr.com
Tue Dec 4 14:52:44 EST 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Lee Blackwell wrote:

> Only just caught up on this thread.. so forgive me if I repeat
> something..!
>

> I've noticed that artsd takes over control of the sound channel (/dev/dsp)
> and therefore only KDE applications can play sound.  This is why I can't
> get mpg123 or xmms to work (duh... that figures! ;-)

> Have you tried killing X, and running mpg123 from the console?

Yes, the result is the same: a single note repeats until I kill it. So
that pretty much rules out KDE as the culprit.

> As far as the libao error goes, at least trying things from console can
> rule out KDE/artsd getting in the way.

> Oh, and KDE2 installs a libao as part of it's installation.  Your's may be
> corrupt or an incorrect version.
>
> I've got:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 10 10:42
> /usr/lib/libao.so.0 -> libao.so.0.1.0
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        14222 Mar 21  2001
> /usr/lib/libao.so.0.1.0

Now this is interesting, I have ver 2.0.1. This must be the standard with
kde2.2. I would almost want to try an older ver. to see if that helps,
just hate to go backwards . ..

> HTH,
>
> Lee

thanks  : )