[Techtalk] mpg123 error

Lee Blackwell lee_blackwell at eur.3com.com
Tue Dec 4 14:10:55 EST 2001

Only just caught up on this thread.. so forgive me if I repeat
something..!

> Yes, it is the same mp3's that play in KDE. XMMS is also not
> functional. IT seems all mp3's will play with kde, none will play with
> any other program.
I've noticed that artsd takes over control of the sound channel (/dev/dsp)
and therefore only KDE applications can play sound.  This is why I can't
get mpg123 or xmms to work (duh... that figures! ;-)

Have you tried killing X, and running mpg123 from the console?

As far as the libao error goes, at least trying things from console can
rule out KDE/artsd getting in the way.

Oh, and KDE2 installs a libao as part of it's installation.  Your's may be
corrupt or an incorrect version.

I've got:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 10 10:42
/usr/lib/libao.so.0 -> libao.so.0.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        14222 Mar 21  2001
/usr/lib/libao.so.0.1.0

HTH,

Lee