[Techtalk] question around port filtering, etc.

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 23 11:50:15 EST 2001

Michelle,

If they're going to filter you, filter them.  If you think they're going
to filter out ports to your machine if they figure out your running a
mailserver on it, and you know their ip address b/c they're portscanning
you, firewall them out of your webserver with iptables or ipchains
depending on what kernel you're running.   If you've got the standard
INPUT OUTPUT FORWARD chains setup, and you're running iptables,
something like:

iptables -A INPUT -s <evil ISP scanner address> -p tcp --dport 123 -j DENY

or, if you're feeling really saucy,

iptables -A INPUT -s <evil ISP scanner address>  -j DENY

and they'll never see anything on your machine (or at least it'll come
up "filtered").  If they're being particularly clever, you could even do
some port redirection, so that if they do hit the port your webserver is
running on, it redirects them to something harmless.  I'm not sure if
this will actually help at all though.

My guess is, however, that they're only going to make a habit of filter
out "well-known" server ports.  But that, as I said, is just a guess ;-).

-Brian