[Techtalk] question around port filtering, etc.

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Thu Aug 23 09:55:18 EST 2001

> I've got high-speed internet access through a cable modem provider. For a
> while, I was able to run a web server w/o any problem (using Dynamic DNS).
> It is against their rules, but...

you could just setup a rule that would REJECT tcp packets on port x from
whatever domain they portscan you from.  this would be the 'polite' way to
show that no service is running on that port (an icmp packet is sent back
saying there's no service here).  you wouldn't want to DROP any of those
packets because that would be suspicious.

coldie