[Techtalk] question around port filtering, etc.

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Thu Aug 23 08:46:36 EST 2001

Howdy folks,

I've got high-speed internet access through a cable modem provider. For a
while, I was able to run a web server w/o any problem (using Dynamic DNS).
It is against their rules, but...

Anyway, I had noticed they'd been portscanning me for a while (I was using
snort). I didn't think much of it, until yesterday I found out that they
are now filtering specific ports, including port 80, so people can't get at
my web sites. (The wierd thing is that they have open and/or are filtering
ports that I don't have open - i.e. the localhost nmap and external nmap do
not match.). I have now decided to move to getting business DSL, because I
really want the ability to host my own web sites, but that might take
months. In the meantime, I've changed the port that httpd is listening to -
and it's working, for now. I'm sure that they'll start filtering that port
too at some point.

So this is my question: Is there any way to fool them about what port httpd
is running on? There is nothing essential right now on the web site, but
I've got a fair number of web programming projects that people are beta
testing, or using for minor projects, and telling them what port to go to
every other day is a pain, to say the least.  Also, I've got some mailman
lists I was going to resurrect, but then folks wouldn't have access to the
web interface easily. It would be nice if I could just set a port, and that
port would work for the duration until I got new service.

Additional info - right now, the cable modem is plugged into a Netopia
Router, which does NAT, and acts as a firewall. It can do some fairly
sophisticated stuff.

.Michelle
Michelle Murrain
michelle at murrain.net