[techtalk] Samba Help

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 08:01:27 EST 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:39:11PM -0400, Jennifer Davis wrote:

> I was reading over the archives and I am having the same problem with my
> PC.  My linux/windows combination is Slackware8/ WindowsME.  Does anyone
> know what the location in slackware for /etc/samba/smbusers is?  There is
> no samba folder in /etc.
>
> I tried a locate and found nothing.

I've occasionally seen it in the following places (and, IIRC, some
even were on slackware):

/etc/smbusers
/usr/lib/samba/private/smbusers
/usr/local/samba/private/smbusers

keep in mind, though, that it's optional, so you might not yet have it
at all. If you need to use it, add/uncomment an entry in your smb.conf
file's global section:

  username map = /usr/local/samba/private/smbusers

The choice of path and filename are completely up to you...

It's a simple text file that maps user names, typically longer ones to
shorter ones. The format is as simple as one would expect, for example:

jenn = JenniferDavis
ab = AlmutBehrens

The file should only be writable by root, so keeping it in a directory
named "private" (also writable by root only) should be a sensible
choice, as it emphasizes this aspect.
BTW, the smbpasswd file would typically be kept in the same place.
The latter file should not be *readable* by anyone except root, as its
contents are plaintext-equivalent (due to the authentication algorithm
used) -- despite the fact that it only contains hashes of the cleartext
passwords.

Cheers,

- Almut