[techtalk] Samba Help

Jennifer Davis jsd at brain.jenn.ca
Thu Aug 2 12:39:11 EST 2001

I was reading over the archives and I am having the same problem with my
PC.  My linux/windows combination is Slackware8/ WindowsME.  Does anyone
know what the location in slackware for /etc/samba/smbusers is?  There is
no samba folder in /etc.

I tried a locate and found nothing.

Thanks in advance...

Jenn

At 16:42 31/05/2001, Julie wrote:

>From: Paul Hardacre <paul.hardacre at btinternet.com>
> > At 16:15 31/05/2001, Julie wrote:
><snip>
> > >I found that it's apparently not using the /etc/samba/smbusers
> > >file.  I had an entry "jfh =3D julie".  My Win98 machine was sending
> > >"julie" to my Linux box and Samba insisted that "julie" didn't
> > >exist.  I finally created a "julie" user and set its password with
> > >smbpasswd.
> > >
> > >So ... what's wrong with the smbusers file?  This is RedHat 7.1
> > >incase anyone cares.
> >
> > Hmmm.. I'm running RH7.1 here too on my box on my desk that I'm=
 connected
> > to.. Could be the encrypted password problem that Kent mentioned. I=
 don't
> > recall whether encrypted passwords was enabled or not.. If it was I'd=
 have
> > instantly disabled it on this box cos I connect from Win95 and I don't
> > wanna fiddle with it cos it works (for the moment). Not too bothered=
 about
> > security on this box since it's on a private net anyways. But
encrypted
> > passwords in the smb.conf would be something worth checking.
>
>It's not an invalid password, the error message is
>
>"couldn't find user 'julie' in smb_passwd file"
>
>There was no user "julie", but I did have an entry
>
>jfh =3D julie
>
>in the smbusers file.

Apologies if you've checked this.. But, I did notice in my smb.conf that
the

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map =3D /etc/samba/smbusers

lines in my config were commented out.. Was just something I
noticed.. :/=20
Dunno if that would be it.. If you're using the smbpasswd file I
wouldn't=20
have thought it would have mapped though because it'd be using smb name
and=
=20
according to the man page it says "note that if encrypted=20
pass=AD             words have been negotiated then Samba cannot revert=20
back  to  checking  the UNIX password file, it must have a valid
smbpasswd=
=20
file to check users against."

Other than that I dunno.. :/