[techtalk] More problems...

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 19:28:05 EST 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Michelle Murrain wrote:

> I hope you guys don't get sick of my questions...

Hey, that's what the list's for!

> I have run into a wierd problem - on this box, I'm running debian woody. All
> of a sudden (no, it probably went along with an apt-get update, apt-get
> upgrade) sendmail is unable to read or rebuild the aliases database. I get
> the following error message when I run "newaliases":
>
> Cannot open hash database /etc/mail/aliases.db: Invalid argument
> WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases
> Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases

OK - something wrong in /etc/mail, then.

Try "ls -ld /etc/mail", and "ls -l /etc/mail", and mail the output here -
it looks as if the permissions on those files or that directory are wrong?
(Either that, or the directory has been deleted.)

Don't panic, anyway - it's probably just a permissions problem. (You are
running these commands as root??)

James.