[techtalk] Re: Write down while you are modifying the system... (was: [techtalk] New here)

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 30 11:41:08 EST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 10:37:26AM +1000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>

> >> Has anyone here actually tried using something like CVS to track /etc??
> >
> > I'm sure I was talking to someone who kept a lot of their configuration
> > files in CVS. I shall track them down and find out what exactly it was.
>
> Dancer and I keep promising ourselves to. We're even about to
> build our own CVS repository, for our respective work and home
> programming foo to go into....

I just copy mine into my home directory's cvs checkout of my config files,
chown it and commit it. I should write a script to do that in one step though
:)

I have a CVS repository for all my stuff, for two reasons, one is having lost
work I've spent hours on (since the repository I've never needed to back up
a version for this reason though, although cvs up once saved my from hours of
rewriting pain), and the other is so I can stop manually keeping tarballs of
my own old work around.

Recently discovered tagging 'good' versions so I can try things out, although
most people considering branches my private work a tiny bit obsessive.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>