[techtalk] light laptops for linux?

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Wed Apr 25 12:33:39 EST 2001

You might want to check out: http://www.linux-laptop.net/

There is a database of known laptop howtos and information about all sorts
of models. I'd recommend running whatever you're looking at through the
database to find tips or problems.

I have had experience with linux on very few laptops: mine, a mac g3
powerbook, and 2 at an installfest, one a sony vaio and the other a compaq
presario.

The vaio was much easier to get up and running. Granted, they were running
different distributions, but for the vaio all I did was install the X
server and configure it (with a little tweaking) for it to work. For the
Compaq, I had to find websites with known working X configs and hints to
get it to even come *close* to starting X. I don't think those are
distribution-specific problems. The Vaio was running debian, the Compaq
Mandrake. I don't know the model numbers of either offhand.

The g3 is a whole other story. :o) As our only Mac, it is a sort of
testbed for all stuff Mac-like that we want to experiment with. Right now
it is running OS X (VERY nice).

Dell puts out some really high quality stuff and I have seen nothing but
happiness about the Vaios. :o) I like the design of the Vaio too, but
that's personal preference (it still doesn't compare to the powerbooks).

-nicole

At 09:54 on Apr 25, Molly Tomlinson combined all the right letters to say: