[techtalk] light laptops for linux?

JamesA.Sutherland JamesA.Sutherland
Wed Apr 25 15:26:24 EST 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:54:16 -0400, you wrote:

>Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, slim laptop? I will be taking
>it on a cross-US bike trip this summer; small and light will be my primary
>concerns. :) I'd like something reasonably powered - I will be doing photo
>work - but given the choice, I'd take light over fast.
>
>Right now I'm looking at the Sony Vaio R505 "SuperSlim" series and the Dell
>Inspiron 2100. Anyone have experience running Linux on either of these (or
>similar) beasties?

One of HP's new laptops has quite a nice approach: the laptop
effectively comes in two halves - a very light laptop with just the
battery, and a bottom half which houses the floppy and DVD/CD drivers
and/or two extra batteries. That way, you can take the light half with
you on the bike trip, and then reattach the bottom half for other uses
- long plane trips, work, whatever.

Not sure if that fits your needs or not, but presumably you'll want to
use the laptop after the bike trip is over, and this avoids the risk
of sacrificing too much functionality to achieve a comfortable weight!

James.