[techtalk] Best programmer's editor for Linux

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 12 11:46:04 EST 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:28:15AM +1000, Catie Flick wrote:
> As to JBuilder, I've heard it has annoying "features" such as saving
> .java files with all lower case letters (if you have a class within a
> file like that with a capital letter, you get compile errors) and a few
> other niggly bits. I've not actually used it, so please feel free to
> correct me! :)

Version 3 is a Windows program rebuilt to compile and run on Unix, and doesn't
really understand Unix upper and lower case file names.

You don't get compile errors as such, you get runtime errors.

Say you have class Beta in Beta.java and edit it in JBuilder. JBuilder will
silently save it as beta.java (which cli compilers won't like because the
class name no longer matches), and then JB itself will complain about
duplicate definitions, because it doesn't actually realise what it is doing,
and now sees both Beta.java and beta.java both with a Beta class in them.

It also doesn't implement System.in.read() to actually work.

I don't know about version 4, but I'd stay away from JBuilder on Unix.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>