[techtalk] Best programmer's editor for Linux

Catie Flick liedra at liedra.net
Thu Apr 12 09:28:15 EST 2001

On 11 Apr, Michelle Murrain wrote:
<snip>
> color coding, particularly for perl, java and html/xml (and even SQL, if
> possible)
> paren checking, tag checking
> easy access to line numbers and line number jumping
>
> I might be asking for too much in one editor - I could use an html/xml editor
> separate from a programming editor.
>
> A related question: I've actually never used an IDE - like JBuilder, for
> example. Do those of you who program alot find those useful? In what ways?
<snip>

I'll jump in here and say that I really like NEdit as a text editor with
all of the above - it has a nifty little "shell" menu that has some
important things such as 'make', 'wc', 'spell', etc.
It has many builtin syntax hilighting and if it's not built in - it's
almost guaranteed that someone else has written a module for it (see the
NEdit site :)

As to JBuilder, I've heard it has annoying "features" such as saving
.java files with all lower case letters (if you have a class within a
file like that with a capital letter, you get compile errors) and a few
other niggly bits. I've not actually used it, so please feel free to
correct me! :)

Just my 2c (converted to $US probably around $3 ;(

Catie

--
"When impertinent reporters ask if I'm gay, I say, 'I'm mildly cheerful.'"
	- Sir Arthur C. Clarke

---
www.liedra.net (Now Updated!)