[techtalk] why debian essay..

Curious curious at curious.org
Wed Apr 11 16:40:20 EST 2001

I used to use storm as my starting point (ie.. use the storm cd to install a basic debian then upgrade to real debian :) ...
it's not that bad.. there is news of bankruptcy... sighs http://slashdot.org/articles/01/01/27/1539218_F.shtml
if your looking for debian with a pretty installer and more advanced hardware detecion and stuff.. I suggest progeny (http://www.progeny.com/). Progeny is a commercial Debian distribution founded by the founder of the Debian project.. they offer support contracts.. (though I'm more anxious to see how their LinuxNOW project works out (http://www.progeny.com/develop/now/)
BTW: if your curious you can see a partial history of my primary desktop system at home (http://www.curious.org/sources.list)
{kind of out of date {NOTE: do NOT mix helixcode's debs with debian unstable!}) i. I never personaly did a fresh install of progeny.. (always a dist-upgrade)... I don't recall progeny breaking anything while I used them..
if you do use them.. let me know how things go with it..
Thanks,
Curious

BTW if your wondering where all those bizzar apt sources were found.. check here:
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/
and at www.debianplanet.org