[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Apr 10 22:37:03 EST 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:21:26AM -0400, Walt wrote:
> Also, InterNIC doesn't check for
> authoritativeness, in my experience... Not
> 100% sure about that, maybe it does only
> on the primary DNS but it didn't seem to
> on the secondary.

I've never checked this out for sure, but I have heard that they *may*.

The reason is that I wanted to set up djbdns to both nameserve for our network
and cache (extensive details at puzzling.org/help.html if anyone wants to know),
and the upshot is you can do this, but the cache will never return authoritative
answers for *anything* (apparently it's just a bit set or not in the relevant
packet), and apparently registrars have bugged people about this.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>