[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

Walt pippin at fred.net
Tue Apr 10 06:21:26 EST 2001

I have just been through setting up my own
DNS server with Netsol...

The one thing that gave me some trouble
was that I was trying to use the name that
my ISP had assigned me as my nameserver
name. (i.e. hostname.cust.isp.net) You
cannot do this and still be the contact for
the Host entry. I had to actually own the
domain that my hostname would fall under,
i.e. hostname.mydomain.net.

The cool realization that I came to is that
all one ever needs to start hosting domain
names is 1 static IP. Register the domain,
pointing to whatever nameservers you want
Register a host under that domain and then
update the primary DNS to be your host
and point the secondary to your ISP's
secondary (or pretty much any other host
for that matter...)

Also, InterNIC doesn't check for
authoritativeness, in my experience... Not
100% sure about that, maybe it does only
on the primary DNS but it didn't seem to
on the secondary.

Walt

-~

     The path to success is paved with good intentions that were
     carried out.
                         Bob Edwards