[techtalk] Apache PLEASE HELP! (fixed)

JamesA.Sutherland JamesA.Sutherland
Mon Apr 9 22:14:10 EST 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:54:36 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Ok, I got it back up.  Thanks, James, for the suggestion, but I'd checked
>the error_log and nothing was there; just the standard starting up and
>shutting down messages.  So then I got some original default httpd.conf file
>I had sitting around, changed it to spec with the machine I was working on,
>and restarted apache; same problem.  That eventually led me to thinking
>about file permissions, so I changed the permissions on the html dir
>(temporarily) to 777, and that fixed the problem!  The odd thing is, I
>didn't change the permissions on those files, and it worked before I started
>playing this morning...?

Sounds to me as if you accidentally changed the UID the server runs
as. 777 perms is BAD NEWS - at the very least, you should do a quick
"chmod o-w -R" on htdocs...

>In any case, all is well, my heartrate has returned to normal, and I can now
>go get something to eat. :-)
>
>Thanks again, James, for responding so quick to my distress call. I always
>feel better as a SysAdmin knowing the LinuxChix crew is out there...

Always nice to know there are helpful people online when you need
them. Just try getting a reply out of MS tech support, specially out
of hours :-)

James.