[techtalk] Apache PLEASE HELP! (fixed)

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 9 13:54:36 EST 2001

Hello again,

Ok, I got it back up.  Thanks, James, for the suggestion, but I'd checked
the error_log and nothing was there; just the standard starting up and
shutting down messages.  So then I got some original default httpd.conf file
I had sitting around, changed it to spec with the machine I was working on,
and restarted apache; same problem.  That eventually led me to thinking
about file permissions, so I changed the permissions on the html dir
(temporarily) to 777, and that fixed the problem!  The odd thing is, I
didn't change the permissions on those files, and it worked before I started
playing this morning...?

In any case, all is well, my heartrate has returned to normal, and I can now
go get something to eat. :-)

Thanks again, James, for responding so quick to my distress call. I always
feel better as a SysAdmin knowing the LinuxChix crew is out there...

Adios,
Brian