Vim and regular expressions (was Re: [techtalk] Any good HTML editors for Linux?)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Apr 5 11:37:18 EST 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:11:48AM +1000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Mary Gardiner thought:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:24:13PM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> > I always thought vim was just another vi with a few extras. I guess it's got
> > more than a few extras ... I'm installing it now. It'll be nice to try
> > something familiar ...
> >
> > Jen
>
> Some of the features include syntax highlighting, support for the arrow
> keys whilst in edit mode, and straight from vi, regular expressions.
>
> In terms of HTML though, where you nearly always want non-greedy
> matches, can someone remind me how I do this. Web searches invariably
> turn up "and you can use regular expression in vim, perl and blah. You
> may want non-greedy expressions, in which case, try blah in Perl!" and
> -perl will turn up the same page with perl5, and so on.

Somewhere in www.linux.ie there exists a vi(m) tutorial which goes into
greedy/ non-greedy regexps or else there're links to one.  I may have a
printout somewhere that might have a URL.  I'll post if I find it.

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
 12:20pm  up 36 days, 21:55,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

Hobbiton.cod.ie
 11:35am  up 36 days, 20:45,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00