[techtalk] tracking multiple admin logins?

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Apr 5 08:29:56 EST 2001

Dennis Wheeler wrote:

> The company I work for, develops software for Linux servers, and so have
> a need for various/multiple people to logon as root to various servers
> that are under development and being tested.
>
> Is there way to track who is logging in (as root), in order to better
> track who is making changes to which config files?

My initial reaction is 'not until there's some sort of
retina/fingerprint/etc id'.

My next reaction is 'hm. Not if they're logging in directly, but
maybe if they use su'.

SO...

Not if they're logging in directly, but check out 'man su'.
Thoroughly. I suspect it logs each use.. or can be made to.

Or get yourself fingerprint/retina identification. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/